Lab Errata and Changelog
This page documents fixes for bugs in versions of the virtual machines, including Kali on GCP.
- Kali is running metasploit-framework v6.1.23-dev, but with this commit from v6.1.31 applied to give
chrome_enum.rbthe ability to handle Chrome > v80.
- Installed docker, Docker version 24.0.5, build ced0996
- Installed DVWA version 2.3 as a Docker container into Kali, running on http://localhost:4280, out of directory
/root/git/DVWA. The older DVWA v1 version of DVWA on Metasploitable2 is still available, and is still referenced by the labs.
- Re-armed the Windows VM license
mirageinto the security-onion VM
Problem: A lock screen appears when the screensaver turns on
Reason: Chrome remote desktop is using the wrong desktop environment (it is using
cinnamon instead of
Solution: Set xfce4 to be the default desktop environment used by chrome remote desktop.
- log in via Google Cloud Console’s SSH from the Browser.
Change the default desktop environment used by chrome remote desktop:
sudo bash -c 'echo "exec xfce4-session" > /etc/chrome-remote-desktop-session'
- Reboot your instance.
- When your instance has finished rebooting, connect again via chrome remote desktop (https://remotedesktop.google.com/access)
Resolved in: v3.0.1